Fitness and Wellbeing Activities at Home
Fitness and Wellbeing – Whilst many of our cultural, sports and leisure, and spiritual venues across the district are closed, now is the time to experience some of their online content. Plus browse the directory here to access online support for Mental Health and Wellbeing services.
Salt Ayre Leisure Centre
- Join Salt Ayre Leisure Centre on YouTube for online yoga, cardio workouts, tips, advice and Les Mills online workouts, which are sure to help your Fitness and Wellbeing while you’re stuck at home.
Salt Ayre Leisure Centre is the largest Leisure Centre in the Lancaster District, boasting a range of exciting facilities, such as: Energy indoor soft play, XHeight indoor climbing and Gravity outdoor flight tower (the first in Europe!), plus a 33m indoor swimming pool with slide, sports hall, athletics track, outdoor cycle track and a brand new 100 station gym, Immersive cycle studio and functional Training Zone.
Wayne Hemingway of Hemingway Design, curator of Vintage by the Sea and long time advocate of Morecambe has put together some wonderful and soulful playlists for enjoying with family, dancing or just sitting back and chilling… check them out here:
La Petite Mort Dance
- LPM Dance offer a number of online dance classes and videos – simply select the one which suits you and away you go! Please note some have a small charge.
La Petite Mort is a dance practice which promotes an inclusive ethos, providing opportunities for people of all ages and abilities to experience the power of dance. They use movement and dance as a tool for collaboration, education and social change, and are driven by their artistic and creative ambitions to develop innovative projects and performance work.
- Join Rebecca Ellis from Halton Mill as she offers Gentle Yoga, Hatha Flow, Refresh Yoga and Yin/Restorative Yoga – a range of online classes suited to all ages, abilities and experience.
- If you don’t catch one of the online classes, try these mellow playlists for your own yoga practice (you will need Spotify):
Halton Mill is a vibrant and inspiring environment in which small businesses, social enterprises, community based organisations, craftspeople, artists and freelancers work together to realise their creative vision, sharing facilities and resources to ensure minimal environmental impact.
- Lancaster Priory will be streaming their 10am Sunday services via their Facebook page.
- You can also join in morning prayers at 9.30am every day.
Lancaster Priory Church is a Grade 1 listed building, located on a site which has seen Christian worship since Saxon times. It is of huge historical and archaeological importance and is one of the most frequently visited parish churches in the North West. Lancaster Priory is the Mother Church of the City of Lancaster, and it is well known and respected throughout Lancashire and beyond as a place of excellence for its music tradition.
The Priory is currently experiencing a drop in income due to its closure. If you can help with their fundraising drive to maintain this beautiful church, you can donate here.
RSPB Leighton Moss
Close your eyes and it sounds like you’re really here at RSPB Leighton Moss Nature Reserve, listening to the songs of the warblers, blackcaps and bitterns. Site manager Jarrod celebrates the spring birds found at Leighton Moss…
The Eden Project
- Create your own Eden wherever you are. Cornwall’s Eden Project brings us some ideas to maximise the outside space you have (even if it’s tiny!), to get children excited about nature and science, and to bring the outside in!
- Biome in a Box activity
- How to Build Your Own Den
- How to make a Marble Run
- How to Build an Insect Home
- Recycle a Milk Carton into a Bird
- …and lots more crafty ideas!
- Discover some tips and tricks for planning and preparing your perfect garden.
- Create your own Eden: Find out about how to live more sustainably.
The Eden Project near St Austell in Cornwall, UK, is nestled in a huge crater. Here, massive Biomes housing the largest rainforest in captivity, stunning plants, exhibitions and stories serve as a backdrop to striking contemporary gardens, summer concerts and exciting year-round family events. Here’s a 60-second dip into the sights and sounds of its Biomes and gardens.
Forest of Bowland
The stunning Forest of Bowland offers some ideas for bringing the beauty of nature into your home:
- Family Fun – We have plenty of activities to keep your little ones entertained at home, from colouring sheets, to quizzes, anagrams and word searches.
- Star Gazing – the landscapes of the area are captivating by day but after the sun sets there’s a whole new world to discover in the dark skies over Bowland.
- Wildlife Species Spotlight – if you have the opportunity whilst walking from your door or looking out of your window you can record your wildlife sightings on iRecord – https://www.brc.ac.uk/irecord/ .
- Your Photo Gallery – enjoy viewing the photos that you’ve uploaded over the past year in our gallery, and if you’ve got some pictures sat on your phone or camera from past visits why not upload and share them here!
- Medieval Deer Parks in Bowland – read all about one of our exciting past projects, which includes our Leap in the Park interactive book!
- Landscape Stories – explore another interactive book, bringing to life the Landscape Stories project, which ran between April 2009 and March 2011. The project aimed to uncover some of the layers of natural and cultural history, encouraging local residents and visitors alike to understand and celebrate this very special place.
- Anniversary Scrapbook – the Bowland Scrapbook was published in November 2014 and was so popular, it sold out in a month! The Scrapbook contains some fantastic stories and old photographs, all generously contributed by members of the public as part of our 50th Anniversary year celebrations. Enjoy a nostalgic online tour of Bowland!
On Saturday 21 September 2019, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty around the UK coordinated the first national Art in the Landscape event – The National Moment. At 2pm on this day, AONBs produced hearts in the landscape, and Simon Armitage, UK Poet Laureate read Fugitives for the first time. Fugitives was written especially for the event. The video shows some of the events which took place on 21 September, and the soundtrack is Simon Armitage reading Fugitives.
If you are missing exploring our beautiful district, browse these stunning photos by Photo North.
They can even be purchased as Greetings Cards if you want to share the views with friends and family!
Joan from Photo North is Cumbria born and bred. Her appreciation of the northern countryside combines with a passion for photography to produce original images showcasing the beauty of the North West’s landscapes plus a series of walking guides discovering the hidden gems of Lancashire, the Lake District and the Yorkshire Dales.
The Growing Club
- Join The Growing Club over on their Facebook page for tips and advice on your business and general wellbeing.
The Growing Club CIC is a not-for-profit organisation. We provide a fantastic range of skills training and opportunities for women, using a creative and alternative peer support model.
The Tara Centre
- Join The Tara Centre online via their Facebook page for Meditation and Relaxation sessions.
The Tara Centre is a meditation centre in the heart of Lancaster, offering meditation classes, sound healing and other transformational practices. Classes, courses and retreats bringing mindfulness, emotional awareness and heart-based practices to those who need it.
More resources to help with Fitness and Wellbeing that you can enjoy from home:
- Active Cumbria – Stay in Work out – A website with links to many websites, activities and ideas for staying active while being at home – for adults, families, children, older adults, those working, those with disabilities or Long Term Conditions. https://www.activecumbria.org/behealthybeactive/stay-work-out/
- One of Lancashire’s most precious beauty spots, the Forest of Bowland are delivering the essentials to make you feel like you’re there.
- Lancashire School Games – Stay in Work Outs for KS1, KS2 and teenagers on their website. Daily inspiration on Facebook. Facebook: Lancashire School Games / https://lancashireschoolgames.co.uk/
- Lancashire Youth Challenge have launched a “National Three Peak Staircase Challenge” to inspire both young people and adults. http://www.lancashireyouthchallenge.co.uk/national-three-peaks-staircase-challenge/
- More-cam – Morecambe’s Promenade webcam offers you the chance to enjoy the many pleasures of the seaside, bask in the tranquility of this beautiful coast.
- Lancaster City – if you’re craving the city sights, then jump in and view your favourite spots 360 style!
- Identify the birds you’ve encountered during your daily walk using RSPB Leighton Moss’s bird identification guide.
- Steve Cody Fitness – Catch up with Steve’s 30 minute workouts – still on Facebook. Facebook – Cha Cha Plank Charity Challenge
A set of fun 10-minute, audio and video workouts to help older people get stretching and moving at home
Carrie Bradburn PT
Online zoom classes, challenges and programmes.
Facebook: Carrie Bradburn PT
Janet Silverwood Fitness & Wellbeing
Body Conditioning, every Thursday 5pm for 45 mins on Facebook, during lockdown
Facebook: Janet Silverwood Fitness & Wellbeing
Janet Butler Pilates
Free live Pilates and meditation on Facebook on Mondays and Thursdays at 9:30 am – or catch-up videos on Facebook
Facebook: Janet Butler Pilates
Chair based exercises to keep you active in your own home – videos that can be watched any time
Jo Wicks -The Body Coach TV
Free online PE lessons – 250+ free workouts to catch up on. Perfect to help children with their Fitness and Wellbeing.
Kids Yoga Stories
Selection of free colour posters to inspire kids – only need an email address to download them. Explore the free section on the website too.
Move it or Lose it (partnered with the Royal Voluntary Service)
Recorded chair based exercise classes to keep our nations older adults moving and chatting – see the video section on You Tube to watch any time
NHS Fitness Studio
24 instructor-led videos across aerobics exercise, strength and resistance, and pilates and yoga categories.
Public Health England
Active at Home Booklet – to support older people and those who are shielded
How to stay active at home and improve your Fitness and Wellbeing if you are well.