Heritage At Home
Whilst many of our heritage attractions across the district are closed, now is the time to experience some of their online content and take part in some heritage activities at home.
- Prayers and services are live streamed from the inside the historic Grade 1 listed building. Go to www.lancasterpriory.org for full details and links.
- Lancaster Priory has recently been given the great news that it has been awarded funding towards its Clock Tower renovations which can now take place over the next few months – however its campaign is ongoing to fund further major renovations and any donations would be gratefully received via JustGiving on the Priory website. People can also sponsor a stone for £10 in memory of a relative or friend. Anyone interested can speak to a staff member at the church or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nighttime image of The Priory by Darren Andrews
Heysham Head app
Until you’re able to visit the beautiful village of Heysham once more, why not download this app and listen to the stories at home – ready to experience once lock down is lifted? Produced for the Morecambe Bay Partnership and The National Trust, the app is free and can be downloaded here:
- Apple: https://apps.apple.com/by/app/heysham-head-morecambe-bay/id1184463109
- Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.northbynw.heyshamhead
- Take a virtual tour of Lancaster Castle and learn about the different areas of the castle, built at various times over the past 1000 years. Since its restoration in 2012 following the prison closure in 2011, the castle has welcomed thousands of visitors and enjoyed events from concerts to theatre shows and fairs to reenactments.
Lancaster City Museum
- Lancaster City Museum has been looking back at the city’s streets and landmarks over past decades.
- Follow them on Facebook to find out about the city’s colourful characters and interesting artefacts from times gone by!
Lancaster Maritime Museum
- Lancaster Maritime Museum has been browsing its collection to bring you interesting facts and activities.
- Follow them on Facebook to find out more about their collection and Lancaster and Morecambe’s maritime history.
- Watch this wonderful episode of BBC One’s Villages by the Sea featuring Sunderland Point – and The Judges’ Lodgings!
- You can also discover some of the house’s amazing artwork…
- …and some of its furniture (much of it made by Lancaster firm Gillows) and other treasures.
Morecambe Winter Gardens
Follow Morecambe Winter Gardens on Facebook to find out all about the exciting renovation work they are undertaking.
Morecambe Heritage Centre
- Morecambe Heritage Centre brings us episodes from their Morecambeology series, exploring Morecambe’s history and heritage from industry to entertainment.
- Discover Lancaster and Morecambe’s quirky characters and hidden history through the eyes of LuneTube’s series of short films and stories.
Heritage From Home
The National Lottery Heritage Fund is celebrating the UK’s rich history and heritage – all from home!
- If you have seen or developed any inspiring resources and activities to combat social distancing please share them on Twitter using the hashtag #HeritageFromHome .
They’ll post some of their faves here: #thread
How well do you know the county of Lancashire, steeped in history and boasting some of the UK’s best scenery?
- Test your knowledge and pit your wits against your family in this fiendish quiz from VisitLancashire! #bringlancashirehome