Old Glasson stands on a raised area a little above Glasson Dock. It was first mentioned in 1265 as ‘Glassene’.
There are a couple of options as to what the name might mean.
It may come from the Old English (Anglo-Saxon) glæs – just as Gleaston does in the Furness Peninsula.
If so then it means ‘gleam’ or ‘shining’ – possibly a reflection (literally!) of how the light shines off the water. Or maybe there was once a beacon there to help guide boats into the Lune?
Alternatively it might be something else entirely and be named from a Gaelic personal name ‘Glassán’ as in Glassonby in Cumbria. If this is the case then this is an excellent example of the close links that this area had with the Irish Sea region – particularly during the Viking Age and just afterwards.
Glasson Dock was opened in 1787 as the port for Lancaster as the Lune was now too shallow for the larger vessels that were needed.
The photo shows a view across the Lune from Overton Church to Glasson Dock. Old Glasson can be seen as the raised area to the right of the Dock and it shows how Overton and Old Glasson had the potential to be complementary high points at the entrance to the Lune.