Wray is first mentioned in 1227 as ‘Wra’ and comes from the Old Norse Vrā, meaning ‘corner’. Wray stands in a corner where the Rivers Hindburn and Roeburn join.
Wrayton is first mentioned in 1229 as ‘Wraiton’ and is near a sharp bend in the River Greta. As a ‘tun’ or larger settlement, Wrayton may have had an administrative function. It is sited near the important bridge over the Greta, just before the road crosses the river before dividing to go to either Kirkby Lonsdale or alongside the Greta to Burton-in-Lonsdale.
If this was the case then Wrayton would have helped to monitor traffic going up and down the valleys of the Lune and Greta. Both connect with the important ‘Aire Gap’ crossing of the Pennines – now the A65.
The photo shows Wray between 1905 and 1910.