Lancaster Priory & Parish Church
The 15th Century Priory and Parish Church of Lancaster standing by the Castle on the hill, overlooking the city, is built on the site of a priory which was founded in 1094. The interior is mostly medieval but has 13 centuries of history, evident from traces of a Saxon church, such as the Saxon doorway with Anglican cross fragments, 14th Century choir stalls, superb tapestries, and King’s Own Memorial Chapel with historical regimental standards and battle honours.
The present building holds Viking ornaments, crusaders’ coffins and part of Jacobean ‘three-decker’ pulpit. The Memorial Chapel holds arguably the most complete collection of Regimental Colours in the country.
Website Get Directions