Lancaster Maritime Museum
The City, Cottage and Maritime museums are currently closed. We do not have a confirmed date for reopening, but will publicise our plans once they are in place. In the meantime please follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
Lancaster Maritime Museum occupies two historic buildings on St. George’s Quay, the city’s main 18th century harbour.
It was opened in 1985 and has won many awards. The former Custom House of 1764, designed by Richard Gillow, contains displays on the history of the Port of Lancaster and the local fishing industry, with a gallery for exhibitions.
In the adjacent warehouse are displays on the Lancaster Canal and the ecology of Morecambe Bay.
Several preserved vessels are also displayed, including ‘Sir William Priestley’ and ‘Coronation Rose’.
There is a cafeteria and shop and parking is available at the rear.